One of the best things about social media and the internet in general is randomly finding new and interesting people you might have otherwise never met. Over the last two years I have met and collaborated with some really awesome people through social media.
Browsing the #Bermuda hashtag I came across Kal, I checked out his page as I saw some really quality photos on his Instagram page. I also checked out a few of his videos on YouTube and was impressed at how good they were and the down to earth style he portrayed himself in them.
Having seen that he has also travelled to quite a few places at a young age, has a huge following and is now showcasing Bermuda through some great content I thought I’d get a quick interview with him to get to know his story…..
• What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Kal Ousseimi, I was born in New York City, Grew up in Geneva, Switzerland and London.
• What brought you to Bermuda?
My parents just told me one day “We’re moving to Bermuda”. And I was like “cool okay haha”
• You currently have a YouTube channel with over 33,000 subscribers with a series called “My Life Through Film” and an Instagram page with over 52,000 followers. What inspired you to start these platforms and why do you think you have become so popular?
I’ve always liked entertaining people… I always try to make my friends laugh and I thought one day maybe I can make other people laugh too? So I started creating content online, some people liked it i guess! I also travel ALOT, so creating Video Logs of my travels and day to day activities was pretty easy. I think people follow me because I don’t only show beautiful locations and “cool stuff”, but because I interact with the people that follow me and also make them laugh in my videos, something that other vloggers don’t really do.
• From looking at your YouTube channel you have quite the travel bug and documented visits to places like Greece, France, South Africa, Prague and the Caribbean.
Can you tell us your thoughts on Bermuda and how it differs from other places you have visited?
I’ve met a lot of people traveling and stay in contact with a lot of them. The only difference I noticed with Bermudians is that they are a much tighter group than anywhere else I’ve been. Everyone knows everyone. It’s a very friendly and amicable community of people you can trust even if you just met them. It kind of reminds me of Switzerland.
• Can you give us a brief walk through of your day to day while in Bermuda?
I don’t have a work permit yet so this summer has been really fun haha. I wake up pretty early (sometimes) and head to Tuckers Point Gym then make my self a banana smoothie with honey and flax seeds. I’m not that healthy though I then order pineapple pizza from Rustico’s and hang out at the beach. And for anyone asking, YES PINEAPPLE DOES GO ON PIZZA. I always like to take photos even if they turn out bad. So I grab my camera and try to go shoot a couple of stuff. I do that alone or either with local photographers like Tristan Kernmode. Every Day is a different adventure so I couldn’t really say what goes on day to day… but the morning is always the same.
• For someone who is interested in going into film, photography or building a big social media presence, can you tell us of what you think would be essential attributes, skills etc.?
Think about what you want to share with the world and think, if I was a total stranger and I watched this would I be interested in it? Learn how to edit, nothing is worse than someone that “thinks something looks good ” you need to know it does.
And finally just have fun. If it’s not fun its not worth doing it and you won’t enjoy doing it either, vis versa people will be able to tell that through your images wether it be film or photography.
Oh and BE YOURSELF. The weirder you are the better. And lets face it we are all weirdos.
• What do you like most about Bermuda?
The crystal blue water
• What are some of your career highlights?
I’m so young haha, but I got to say filming for Wyclef Jean, the legend of the Fugees, on a NYC penthouse was definitely a highlight.
• What are your personal goals and ambitions?
I want my own production company
I want to meet as many creators as I can
I want to make people laugh and enjoy the beauty of the world at the same time
• How would you encourage more people to get out there to achieve their dreams and aspirations?
just.do.it. don’t think about it. just do it. Most people get stopped by people surrounding them telling them they aren’t good enough or even get stopped by their own subconscious. Just put your work out there and if your good I assure you people will come flocking your way.
• What are some things that would always draw you back to Bermuda?
• What is next for Kal Ousseimi?
Who knows! hopefully very big things
• Describe Bermuda in three words.
Charming Friendly and Lively
Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in